Marquita’s Travels contains affiliate links and is a member of Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. If you make a purchase using one of these Amazon links, I may receive compensation at no extra cost to you. Read my disclaimer for more information.
Kids’ swim earplugs use is more popular than most may think. Especially for kids who have ear tubes.
As all parents know, the slightest thing can set a kid off. So even if your kiddo doesn’t have tubes, but despises the feel of water in his ears, read on to get the best swimming ear plugs for kids.
Pro tip: Ear plugs can also be used for bath time too!
Why Swimming Ear Plugs for Kids are Necessary
We want our little ones to be as happy as possible. Even when they’re swimming. However, swimmer’s ears can be painful for kids.
Swimmer’s ears, also known as otitis externa, is an infection in the outer ear canal. It runs from your eardrum to the head. Water that stays in the canal is susceptible to bacteria and fungi.
This results in a very uncomfortable feeling for your kid. Their hearing may be temporarily affected as well.
Additionally, swimmer’s ears can turn into multiple ear infections. To prevent this, swimming earplugs are necessary.
Overall, earplugs are great for kids that are prone to ear infections, kids with tubes, kids that dive a lot, kids that frequently swim in unfiltered waters like lakes and oceans, and kids who participate frequently in water sports.
Different Types of Ear Plugs
No earplug is the same. There are a few types of earplugs that you can choose from.
Foam Ear Plugs: Similar to the ones that they give out on the airplane. These are cheap, but they are not recommended for water activities.
Silicone Ear Plugs: These come pre-molded and can be washed and reused.
Silicone Putty Earplugs: These are most popular with swimmers. They are pliable, i.e. they can be balled up and molded to fit your kids’ ears.
Custom Ear Plugs: No surprise here, the custom ones are more expensive. But they’re also the ones that are of higher quality and last longer. There are also more cleaning options for these.
Best Swimming Ear Plugs for Kids
Here are some of the best swimming earplugs for kids.
Best Swim Ear Plugs for Kids 4 and Under
WaterDam Swimming Ear Plugs: Consider getting the mixed-size bag because ears aren’t the same size across the board. So what may fit your left ear may not fit your right ear.
Hearprotek: These are specially shaped to fit kids’ ears. They also come with handy reusable storage for each pair.
Swimming Ear Plugs: Specifically for ages 2-5, these earplugs are reusable and can be used in water as well as in the bathtub.
Best Swim Ear Plugs for Kids 5 and Older
Alpine Pluggies: Noise reduction headphones step on the side! These earplugs reduce the noise you can hear. Although it’s not complete isolation. And they adapt to your ear, making it a good fit over time.
Naohiro Swimming Earplugs: Good for kids over 8. Also suitable for adults in case you want to match your little one. These reusable earplugs come in packs of five.
TYR Kids Soft Silicone Ear Plugs: Named after TYR the Norse god of valor and sacrifice, these plugs are innovative at their best. They come in a 12-pack and they’re comfortable and effective.
Sleeping and Swimming Ear Plugs: Great for 6 years and older. Adults can even use them.
Zooshine: Suitable for ages 8 and older. If you’re in the market for nose clip plugs as well, you’re in luck because they come as a combo set.
Best One-Size-Fits-All Swim Ear Plugs
Putty Buddies: If simplicity is your thing, Putty Buddies are perfect. No fuss earplugs.
Earplugs for Adults: Adults need things too! But kids can also wear them. They come in a cute case to ensure you can always find your plugs.
UPINS: If you are one of those parents that loves a good bulk purchase, this is for you.
Swim Ear Bands for Kids
Earplugs are notorious for not staying in place. Sometimes it takes a lot of trial and effort to find the right size and avoid losing them. A good fix for keeping swim ear plugs in place is a swim ear band.
Swimming ear bands keep the plugs in and water out. Also perfect for kids with ear tubes.
Learn how to get EAR BAND-IT in the correct size for you or your kiddo(s)
Benefits of Wearing Swim Ear Plugs for Kids
Undecided on earplugs? Here are some benefits of earplugs for kids.
- Pleasant swimming experience: If your kid is just learning to swim, earplugs make their experience easy as they keep water out of their ears.
- Protection from swimmer’s ears: Once your little one gets swimmer’s ears, they are more susceptible to ear infections on and off. Earplugs protect your kiddo from getting swimmers’ ears.
- Decrease risk of water-born bacteria: Swimming in unfiltered waters like lakes and oceans leaves your kiddo at risk of water-borne bacteria. If your family enjoys summers at natural bodies of water, then investing in earplugs for your kiddos would be a great choice.
- Minimize the noise: If your kiddo prefers not to hear his surroundings, popping a pair of earplugs may be a solution. Some brands cancel the noise completely, while others don’t compromise hearing.
How to Choose the Right Swim Ear Plugs for Kids
You’re ready to make the plunge. See what I did there?
So how do you choose the best earplugs for your kids? Easy.
- Focus on maintenance: Some earplugs are reusable while others are disposable after each use. The level of maintenance and care you are willing to put into your kids’ swim earplugs should be taken into consideration when purchasing them.
- Design/Fit: As you can see from the list above, some earplugs are specifically made for kids of a certain age, while others are made for everyone. If your kid is younger, you may want to try the kids’ swim earplugs specifically made for their age group to ensure a better fit.
- Cost: The cost of earplugs varies dramatically, especially if you decide to go the custom route. When looking at price, you may want to take into consideration if and how often you’d have to replace them based on how often your kids swim or take a bath.
✔️ Learn more about kid’s water/beach essentials ✔️